Monday, March 2, 2015

Intro to The Toxic Hairstylist

My name is Tiffany and I live just outside of Seattle, WA. I started this blog to share with others great products/ideas I have found while trying to start living a toxic free life. Growing up I never cared about what I ate or did to my body, I have eaten a lot of horrible unhealthy foods, used beauty products full of toxic ingredients, and done little to exercise. You feel so invincible when you are young. Luckily I have never done any illegal drugs, I have never smoked and almost never drink. I have however had many surgeries, seven foot surgeries, tonsils & wisdom teeth removed and had a benign tumor removed. I was a sickly child, I had strep throat several times every year, suffered with allergies and had frequent upset stomach and bowl problems. As an adult I have very sensitive skin, continued sensitive upset stomach and bowl problems and a lot of body aches and pains, I take a lot of Advil to be able to do my job and just live normal life. And I only just turned 28! My mother was diagnosed with cancer when I was just in 5th grade, she passed away my senior year of high school. I had never put much thought into the idea of myself getting cancer, but the older I get and the worse I feel in my daily life the more I start to think... Will I die young from cancer or some other kind of horrible illness?! Why do so many people get cancer? Myself and my two best friends all lost a parent to cancer by the time we graduated. A weird coincidence or not? Cancer and other horrible illnesses really did not exist that long ago. Why has it gotten so bad and how can I stop it from happening to me. I chose a career where I am around chemicals ALL DAY long, very bad chemicals.... some would say toxic. Thus the inspiration for my blog name. I inhale hairspray, bleach lightening powder and other chemicals. I absorb chemicals through my skin from hair color, shampoo and various products that I use. All that plus the chemicals that I know I have in my body from having so many surgeries, taking pain medication and antibiotics, as well as the chemicals I have absorbed from eating unhealthy foods. My curiosity started after a fellow hairstylist coworker of mine started seeing a naturopathic doctor where she had a blood test and found that the chemical levels inside her body were through the roof. She pretty much started a revolution in our salon, and the rest of us have all started searching for great products/ideas on how to have less chemical exposure and to restart a healthy lifestyle together. We enjoy finding new stuff so much and sharing with each other that I decided to start this blog to share our product findings. If you are just as interested in switching to a chemical free lifestyle then I hope you enjoy our findings as much as we do. It takes a long time for chemicals to breakdown in the body, so why not start now? I am not 100% chemical free yet, but I would like to get there. Now I am no expert... and I am fairly new at this, but I am excited and love the products & ideas we have found and I hope you will as well. Enjoy! (Picture: My husband Trevor and I with our two dogs Benji and Gus)

No comments:

Post a Comment